Monday, August 2, 2010

my love-hate relationship with a blank book.

I spent almost an hour this morning sitting and just paging through my sketchbook. I've never been good at keeping one and it's one of the things that makes me feel like I'm not really an artist. Right now I have quite a few so-called sketchbooks going: my journal is filled with doodles, then there's my "real" sketchbook, the lined Moleskin I keep with me at all times, and a collection of index cards held together with binder rings. My iPhoto library probably counts as another. For some reason I just can't seem to keep everything in one place!

Last year I had a professor who was adamant about keeping up artistic practices, i.e. drawing in your sketchbook every day. We clashed in many of our thoughts about art, and I probably didn't listen to enough things she had to say. I think I'm going to (belatedly) heed that advice and spend the rest of my summer making daily entries in my beat-up, daunting, "real artist's" sketchbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment